Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

On the road... again.






From barren bush lands to chaotic cityscapes, we have seen it all lately. The stark contrast of this amazing country as we travel up and down the east coast for exhibition season. Amongst the endless emails, phone calls, scheduling and packing I feel so blessed to be able to share these experiences with my children (Ba'il 3 years old and 33 week womb child). 

Packed in amongst the boxes of artwork and artefacts in the back of the Prado, Ba'il stares out the window watching the landscape change as we travel south. Once we hit civilisation we delight in the small things such as a rainbow coloured car wash. He attends exhibition openings and theatre performances with me. All dressed up in his 'city clothes'. This is the part of my job that I love. It's not always peaches and cream trust me. 

In one month we will travel over 5000km together, from remote Cape York community to the shining lights of Sydney. I learn the fine art of compromising with a 3 year old - hanging exhibitions and then playing on city playgrounds. I become a master of detecting signs of tantrums and tiredness as I just can't afford to use my energy arguing. We rest together at night in the same bed. Exhausted yet satisfied. Tomorrow we start our journey down to Sydney for the last of the exhibition run before our newest family member arrives in early October. We will trade the packed Prado for crowded airports - which Ba'il is thrilled about. I'm going to make this trip extra special - it will be the last trip of just him and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment